I guess the title kind of says it all? But I think its time to resurrect my dead blog. Everyone's doing it anyway... and I don't really have anything much to do nowadays. I think I'm only reviving my legacy because I suddenly feel the need to record down weird unknown details of my life and encapsulate them so I don't forget. That's a logical reason right? Let us begin.
I shall be writing about my primary school life in this post. It's the right period to start with right? I guess so? I really can't remember anything past kindergarten. As far as I can remember, I viewed primary school with mixed emotions. On one hand, it holds most of the fondest memories and encounters in my life, on the other, in it's shadow lurks secrets deeper and darker than any other. The best years of my life now, ironically, were my upper primary years. I remember vividly cursing my pityful burden-filled life. Now, when I question myself on the reason as to my actions prior secondary school, I can only conclude that I did not have any significant amount of problems on my young mind, thus I thought that the meagre troubles on my plate played a large role in downgrading my life. This especially applies in the context of work. Even now, I still fail to learn from my past mistakes. I still hate and complain and grumble about how sad my life is, with work piling up by the hour. Somewhere, deep deep down, very deep down, I know that when I get older I will only look back at my lower secondary years and groan about how quickly they passed. That is one of the cruel facts of life. Why attempt to beat the system? I mean, if you can't win 'em, join 'em right?
One of the more memorable figurines in my primary school life was my primary five mother tongue teacher. Once, she got me to stay back to decorate the classroom(haha), I agreed and we started talking. I never truly understood her ways until then. She was strict, had high standards, and seemed unapproachable almost all the time, the exact opposite of what any student could hope for. It was only through that session that I got to know her. I hold no regrets whatsoever for agreeing to help her. I realised that she was only strict as teaching in an all-boy's school was no easily accomplised feat. She had to engrave a foreboding image in all our minds so we would not dare even think of climbing all over her. I cannot agree with her any more. Also, the simple fact was that she did not have high academic standards, it was just the heart wrenching truth that my mother tongue standards were dreadedly low. Although this symptom still persists till this day, I must say that my grasp of the chinese language has firmly increased under her. I was able to score a substancial score in the mother tongue paper in my PSLE. I credit all the effort to her. Without her, I might say that my primary school life would be quite quite empty. She was the main contributing factor to enriching it. Through this mentor, I was able to participate actively in various art competitions and I don't mean to brag, but we swept the gold trophies twice in a row. Also, whenever I had any problems, I felt that I could easily approach her, much in contrast to my first impression of her. Once, she invited me to participate in a painting competition held during the mid-semester break. I miss the afternoons I spent just blissfully painting. Sometimes, when she was free, she would come and sit with me, talking to me. I felt, somehow, that the strong walls separating student and teacher had been broken down. There was no awkwardness when I spoke with her, and I would even joke with her. I shall take these memories with me to my grave. If this particular teacher is reading, I take this opportunity to thank her. Thank you. Only now as I have graduated for over a year, I truly appeciate you. Thank you.
I cannot say that teachers were the only people that consisted of my primary circle. Another group of people that I truly cannot forget are my close friends. I shall not name them here, but they know who they are. I am sure they will not chance upon this, but I know that they know I am grateful to them from the pits of my heart. I remember, every single recess without fail, and I mean every single recess, our play would consist of a rousing game of catch at the so-called 'arena'. We gave it a cool name. I like that name. We would play like there was no tomorrow, running our hearts out. We were primary six, the heads of the school. We ran across every block and every room and had no care in the world. I miss those days when running was playing, not physical training. I remember all the tricks we had like feigning we were not part of the game to avoid getting caught. Life was fun then, even though I did not realise it. Oh the countless times we were caught hiding in restricted areas or running in an only-walk zone. No matter, there was nothing stopping us from our endeavours. We would come up with new games and new ways or places to hide. Now, as I write every single letter, my heart aches with every tap of the keyboard. It was no only in school that I bonded with my friends. All of my close friends played this game, I am not shy to admit it, Maplestory. As outdated and lame as it is now, it was a hit then. During the weekends, all of us were online and we would play and chat. We formed clans or groups called guilds together where, it seemed, our friendship was bound to be sealed. We never thought of the boundaries past primary school. Every day in primary school was utopic. It seems like heaven on earth to me, now. Then, work could be done in under and hour and I would rush to start up the computer. It seems quite dumb to some people, but I do not think so. Some say that the more friends one has online, the less one has in real life. I beg to differ. The friends I have online are the friends I have in real life, so how can that be true? Now, as I look back at my life, this inner circle of friends is extremely valuable. Now, only twice a year we meet at our primary school during new year's and teacher's day. I cherish those few opportunities we have to meet. I wish that those who don't come, will come. It is a pity not to see you, for I haven't in a long time, why not?
Even deeper into my friends, lies a jewel so precious to me that even as the physical barriers hold us apart, I can feel his presence. That person, is none other my best friend. Some might describe him as a loner, but I don't think so. He appears to be irritated and unsociable most of the time, backed up with a countenance of erraticism. Then why, did we glue so tightly? This bond is thick and gluey and sticky and oily. He gets the joke. It was one simple joke that seemed to bring us together. We seemed to be totally different in personalities at first, but after that tiny spark that was to trigger my relationship with him, our opposites attracted. He liked to play video games, I despised them. He was great at chinese, I was of equal greatness but in a negative way. The answer to out deep friendship, I feel, is humour. Both of us joke, a lot, a real big lot. As queer as it may seem, we started talking over a: "Don't you think that teacher is fat?". That is the truth, the whole truth. That statement soon evolved and spawned a chain of jokes specifically targetted at that particular teacher so mean and rude that I shall not even attempt to quote an example for fear of insulting anyone. Ironic, isn't it? That was how we met, and with each cruel joke, the lines keeping us apart were sewn together. Up till now, I must say, I have yet to find another friend that can match or even compare to this person. He was there to cheer me up when I got angry or frustrated, and I was there to piss him off whenever he got too happy. Fret not I know when to stop. I think I can rely on him for absolutely anything. Now, I wrack my brains for another reason as to why we even became friends. Was it merely from the jokes? We have little in common, after all. If it was really from just the jokes, aren't we extremely shallow? I don't know. I don't want to know! All that matters, is that we are friends. Who cares even if we're that shallow? Not I. On this note, I want to thank this person for all that he has done to contribute to my collection of good memories. I miss the days we could get up from bed knowing for certain that we would see each other. Now, things are all too different. I miss the moments we spent together doing nothing but having fun. Today, I long for a day without worry. I miss how simple life was with you. I miss how times were different. I miss getting owned by you know who and you know who at halo, remember their superb teamwork? I remember ours! I miss when we fought to sit with each other in class. I miss when we bitched about school. I miss those times when we worried about tests and exams. I miss the moments when we were happy and when we were sad. I miss spending time with you, and only you.
Friday, May 21, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
woaahh. i never realised you were this kind of person to talk like that. hmm i guess we havent been talking about stuff enough. we talk about so much rubbish lorh zomg. :/ anyway i shall go post a post like yours too(: andd you're in malaysia noww~ wheee. enjoy yourself. come back soon. :/ no one to talk to RAWRR. )< okay enjoy yourself. (: ahahaha byee~
ReplyDelete